Thursday, November 5, 2015

Sustainable Human(s) BEING...

Pearl of Wisdom,
Acrylic Painting on Wood
Welcome all Sustainable Human(s) BEING.... I am very excited to make my first post to this blog, and to have gained the clarity of thought to put my feelings about living and working sustainably into words.  As it states in my description of myself, this blog and all associated pages are dedicated to all things related to humans living sustainably.

My name is Gina Marie Lewis, and I am an artist, living and working in the DMV (that would be District, Maryland and Virginia), as I have been doing for the past 20+ years.  Over the past three years, I have become increasingly concerned with the purpose of my art in the world.  Art, generally, adds enjoyment and aesthetic value to the human experience, but I have grown to want more from my art.  My concern is primarily the level of usefulness to broader segments of the population (not just the initiated within the art world).  Events along my life and career paths have also brought me to question whether or not an art career as I had envisioned it, is really a sustainable endeavor.  These questions have been life changing.


The Next Sunrise, Mural at Howard University Hospital


I am emerging from a three year creative block which, in part, has a lot to do with my questioning of purpose and sustainability.  With a renewed sense of purpose (that taps back into, but expands upon, earlier motivations for art making) I am happy to embark on this next phase of my life in which I hope to develop as a sustainable human and artist.  Through the project Sustainable Human(s) BEING... I invite others to become a part of a community of creative thinkers and innovators in finding solutions to the challenge of becoming more sustainable in our lives.


Pod Installation
Acrylic on Screens, Plaster Gauze
Acrylic on Canvas,
Ink and Acrylic on Mylar
Monoprint, Oil Based Ink on BFK Rives

THE FUTURE..



No comments:

Post a Comment